Breast asymmetry: What are uneven breasts?
The asymmetry of breast size is a surprisingly common concern among adolescent women and even among adult women. Breast asymmetry refers to when a woman’s breasts are of a different size and is defined as a difference in size, shape, position or volume of the breast, different size or shape of the nipple, or irregular position of the nipple, and affects more than half of all women.
Typically, the asymmetry is more noticeable during puberty and, finally, the size of the breasts equal during development. However, up to 25 percent of women have persistent visible breast asymmetry.
The exact cause of asymmetric sinuses is unknown, but potential contributors include hormonal changes or traumatic injuries. Occasionally, an underlying medical or skeletal condition can cause asymmetric breasts such as juvenile or virginal hypertrophy of the breast, a very rare problem in which one breast grows significantly more than the other, causing physical and psychological problems, and with surgery.
Generally, small differences in a woman’s breasts are not important. However, if the differences are greater than the size of a bra cup, they can cause some psychological distress, particularly during adolescence, when the body and mind of a young woman are already changing so rapidly.
If a woman has persistent and visible breast asymmetry, she should consult a doctor for further evaluation. A surgical procedure of augmentation or reduction may be performed, if the person with the asymmetry wishes, to make the breasts more symmetrical after the development is completed.
The candidates for the operation of asymmetric breasts.
If you have a difference in size or shape between your breasts known as breast asymmetry or Poland syndrome, we can improve it with surgery. The ideal candidates for this plastic surgery intervention are women who:
- They have visible differences in shape and / or size of their breasts.
- They are medically healthy.
- They have a normal weight and do not expect to get pregnant in the short term.
- They have realistic expectations about what they can achieve with surgery.
- They need to use padded bras to disguise the differences between breasts.
- They feel anguish and shame when showing their breasts.
You will no longer have to disguise your breasts or limit yourself to certain types of clothing that can significantly increase your self-esteem. This plastic surgery is one of the most rewarding, since it makes patients feel better about themselves and improve their quality of life.
Characteristics of the operation to correct breast asymmetry
The postoperative and recovery of the intervention.
Usually, you will need a night in the hospital after any cosmetic surgery to improve breast asymmetry.
After the surgery, you will need a lot of rest and recuperation, since your breasts will feel sore and bruised, and it is likely that they will also swell during the first days. We will give you analgesics to calm the pain, and you can apply ice to the painful areas. You should use a light bandage for a couple of weeks and a soft sports bra that you should use for 4 to 6 weeks.
- When you get home, do not try to do any of your normal household chores, such as cleaning, putting on clothes or putting them in order. Try to avoid doing anything that requires lifting or stretching, as well as not picking up heavy objects.
- The recovery time depends on the surgical procedure that has been performed. If you have an implant or prosthesis, the standard recovery of the implant is six weeks. And the same applies to most breast lifts.
- While each patient’s healing process is unique, most patients feel ready to return to work a few days after surgery.
- It is important to keep in mind that some techniques of breast reduction and breast lift may decrease your chances of successfully breastfeeding future babies.
- You can expect that the final results of the corrective surgery of the unequal breasts will be stable after 6 months if you are older than 18 years since your breasts are no longer growing.
If you have had breast augmentation as part of this surgery, you will have breast implants. These tend to last for ten to fifteen years, so once that time has passed they may need to be removed or replaced.
Keep in mind that, in many cases, it is not possible to achieve absolute symmetry, therefore, we seek improvement instead of perfection. Breasts are subject to the aging process, severity, pregnancy and childbirth, so if you gain or lose weight, your breasts will also change in size and shape.
Request an appointment for your breast asymmetry surgery.
Remember that the first appointment is free and sometimes it is much more effective to speak personally with the doctor. Call us or make an appointment at our clinics in Valencia or Gandia and we will assist you with total confidence, without commitment, and under the strictest confidentiality. And if you prefer, we’ll call you.
Dr. Julio Puig has extensive experience in the most innovative surgical techniques so that the care process is the safest and most appropriate for each patient.
The interventions of Cosmetic Surgery of breasts in which you can be interested and realized in the cosmetic surgery clinics of the plastic surgeon Dr. Julio Puig, are: